Rumours abound about Pembina Hills Regional Division Supt. Richard Harvey, but board members are saying very little about his leave of absence.
Clayton Jespersen, who will continue to act as board chair until the Oct. 27 meeting, said he couldn’t comment on any of the specifics of the matter, but confirmed Harvey has been on a “personal leave of absence” since Sept. 29.
“Any time there’s a personal matter, we have to really be cognizant of the laws of the land and how we deal fairly with people,” he said.
Jespersen would not say whether the school board is still paying Harvey.
He did confirm that Deputy Supt. Colleen Symyrozum-Watt has been acting superintendent since Harvey’s departure, and that a new superintendent will begin work in 2011.
“We do have a man who is in waiting for Jan. 1,” Jespersen said. “That decision was made early last spring.”
Symyrozum-Watt did not return phone calls from the Westlock News last week.
Barrhead RCMP could not confirm if any investigation is taking place.
“Typically, if we’re investigating somebody we’re not going to release a name until they’re formally charged,” said Sgt. Bob Dodds. “There’s no investigation to my knowledge involving a Richard Harvey.”
There is a Richard Harvey listed in the phone book for Barrhead, but that number has been disconnected.