Skip to content

Barrhead firefighters, with help from RCMP, save county home

Fire chief credits quick action by RCMP in helping them save a County of Barrhead residence
brfs-hous-fire-aug-27-2025dsc_0113-copy
Barrhead Regional Fire Services firefighters responded to a house fire 10 minutes outside of Barrhead on the evening of Aug. 27.

BARRHEAD - Quick action by the RCMP, along with a strong firefighting performance from members of the Barrhead Regional Fire Services (BRFS), was crucial in saving a County of Barrhead residence from fire.

"It was one of those fires that could go either way, but they put it out," BRFS chief Gary Hove said, about an Aug. 27 evening house fire about 10 minutes west of Barrhead off of the Old Manola highway.

Hove said that, although the cause of the fire is still under investigation, it originated in the basement's mechanical room.

"[The owners] were doing some renovations in the basement and had just quit for the day and left for a little while, and then they noticed the fire," he said, adding it was the owners who reported the fire. "We went in with a really aggressive interior attack, and the guys put it out. I'm really proud of the work they did."

Despite the good work firefighters did, Hove said, there was extensive damage to the interior of the home.
"There was damage to the floors, as the fire was in the basement and some other structural elements to some of the walls."

Hove added the fire department would have likely lost the home despite their best efforts, if it had not been for the quick action of two RCMP members who were the first on scene, Cpl. Filipe Vicente and Const. Tyler Holick.

He said as part of the renovations, the owners had recently painted, and as a result, had all the doors and windows open to air out the building.

"They went around and shut all the doors and windows before we got there. That saved the home as it compartmentalized the fire and kept it from getting all the air that it needed."

Hove also credited EMS, who helped ensure firefighters were not overtasked and overheated.
BRFS responded initially with Engine 37, Water Tenders 37 and 34, and Rescue 8. They would be joined later by Engine 33.

"[The engine itself] wasn't used, but it was on scene as a backup if it became necessary," Hove said.
In total, between 12 and 16 firefighters responded, including two junior firefighters who assisted BRFS members in supportive roles, such as retrieving tools and hoses and managing the rehab area, where firefighters rest.

Currently, the BRFS has five youth in its junior firefighting program, which is down from earlier in the summer due to school commitments.

"They come on medical calls and some of the other scenes, like traffic accidents, doing non-hazardous jobs, but they get to see and experience what it is like being a firefighter," Hove said, adding that many people in the junior firefighter program transition to go on to careers in firefighting, EMS, or other emergency services. "We've had some of our former junior firefighters come back to us this summer as full-fledged firefighters, which is really great."

Barry Kerton, TownandCountryToday.com




Barry Kerton

About the Author: Barry Kerton

Barry Kerton is the managing editor of the Barrhead Leader, joining the paper in 2014. He covers news, municipal politics and sports.
Read more

Comments
push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks